Friday, August 7, 2026

Letter 82 - Only FOUR Months Left!!!!

Dear loved ones!

It's Friday, August 7th, and we officially have only four months to go! I cannot believe it! We will be so happy to get home to see family and friends, but we will miss Thailand and be so sad to leave this place and the people we love so much. 

This week was filled with a little more YSA, a little more Platts, a little more work in the office, and a little more illness! 

We concluded our YSA activities midday last Saturday and said goodbye to Platts on Sunday. We literally waved goodbye to them at the airport and started to drive back to our apartment, when I felt a sore throat coming on! But it was back to the office Monday morning, cold and all! 

The pictures can tell the rest of the story. 

But first, we love you, we miss you, and we thank you for your kind words, prayers, love, and support. 

Love, 

Elder and Sister Brady (mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, John and Shelly, and so on!)

Last Friday snack at the Hyatt (where we were staying for the YSA)! 
Passion Fruit, black olives, passion fruit panna cotta! 
I LOVE passion fruit!!! 
Oh, and I love Elder Brady too (who is enjoying his snack of watermelon and black olives)!
Meanwhile up in Chiang Mai, the Platts enjoyed a day rafting, ATVing, and ...
Climbing Sticky Falls! Google it! Chiang Mai Sticky Waterfall. 
It sounds amazing and I want to go!!
Friday night 1st dinner (small snack) at the Hyatt and working on the blog for a bit (last week's). On my plate you can see some delicious massaman curry and some avocado toast! 
And then down to the ballroom for 2nd dinner (actual dinner) and the talent show! 
Elder Brady and I enjoying the talent show! 
Elder Brady heads over to a group of YSAs to deliver some printed patriarchal blessings. He gave 5 blessings at the conference to YSA from Sri Lanka. 
Our friend Jessica finishes up singing her outstanding Broadway number! 
Terrell and his friend finish up the show with a terrific opera number! 
Saturday morning workout in the hotel gym. 
First breakfast!
Second Breakfast! Haha! 
While the YSA head to the amusement and waterpark, 
we stayed back at the hotel and went to the swimming pool! 
It was a refreshing swim. 
Elder Brady relaxed and read!
Then, we took the train back to the temple annex to pick up some lost and found. We opted out of going to the play day so we could spend the afternoon and evening with our children. And we volunteered to pick up the lost and found. I wanted to go to the park and on the river cruise, but we wanted to see our children and grandchildren more! 
We found the missing phone (and other items)! So, we headed back to the hotel.  
We stopped at the lounge for lunch. 
It was very nutritious. 
On our way home, we came across this elevator with confusing images on the floor. 
What does this mean? 
Throwback to YSA Thursday! Here we all are! 350 people from 42 countries! 
Throwback to Thursday's presentation! 
My cute tech guy! 
Picture time after the presentation! Sister Vicky is getting ready to serve a service mission soon! 
Victoria from China gave me this beautiful necklace!
We met Victoria at the RMRT seminar in June! It was fun to see her again at the YSA conference!
Saturday afternoon! The Platts are back! 
Time to taste some BTS Oreos!
This seems like an interesting flavor to me. Brown Sugar Pancake!
And it is purple! My childhood favorite color!
Taste test by Katrina!
She likes it! By the way, I thought this was a Thai thing, but my grandchildren informed me these cookies are in the USA. And BTS is a superstar music group from Korea! And brown sugar pancakes are a thing in Korea! I like them! They are much better than the Cheese Oreos! 
Saturday evening family picture in front of the Bangkok Temple on the 6th floor balcony of the Annex.
Sunday morning church in Bangkok. Aaron made a new friend. 
Esther was really taken with Aaron. When we told Aaron that we would be learning all about Esther in the bible this week, he thought we were teasing him! But we actually are studying Esther in the Old Testament this week! 
Sunday afternoon we ate spaghetti dinner, finished up a movie, and played some family games.
We are going to miss this family so much! 
Sunday evening, at 9:30pm, we loaded 9 bodies, 28 pieces of luggage, and 7 backpacks in the van and headed to the airport! 
Goodbye Platts! Safe travels to Beijing!
Monday morning, I woke up with a sore throat. I wonder if a Butterfinger will make me feel better! One didn't, so I tried a few more. Katrina and family brought me these from home. You cannot find them in Bangkok! Michelle brought us some yummy Chocolate and licorice when she came in April! And friends have brought us chocolate and other necessities when the visited! We love them all and thank them! This was the last Butterfinger. I ate a whole bag in 2 weeks! 
Monday patriarchal blessing. This is Elder Isaac. He was born in Chennai, India! We have some many connections to this city! He was such a niche young man. He was in the MTC and heading out to his mission Thursday morning. 
Monday afternoon, the Howards stopped by! They were in town working on getting their Thai driver's license! It was great to see our former officemates! Elder Lowry and Elder Dollar along with Calls smile for the group selfie! 
Monday night, after we had our PJs on, we got an invite to play games. The Masons (some of our MLS Seniors) were in Bangkok (helping with the YSA event along with the Calls and us) and wanted to get together before they headed up North. The Justensens from the West mission joined us. The Calls hosted and provided delicious caramel corn and games!
Tuesday's only picture. We dropped off Elder Isaac's printed blessing at the MTC and the Harpers (the MTC President and wife) invited them to join them for dinner. We had a nice visit with the Harpers for about an hour! This watermelon was yellow!! And it was delicious! Have you ever eaten yellow watermelon??
Wednesday morning, we had a pickleball date with the APs!! Elders Lowry and Hansen! We played with Elder Hansen over a year ago! It was a lot of fun! Fun fact: I woke up at 1am and could not breathe with my stuffy nose! I finally went to the sofa around 3am and didn't fall asleep until after 4am. So, I am proud to say I managed to play a decent game or two on very little sleep! 
After pickleball, we headed home to shower and then went back out to do a house inspection with the APs and office Elders. They did a stellar job cleaning. Pictures Elder Dollar, Hansen, Vang, and Lowry! 
Thursday morning, Sister Peterson arrived at the annex for her final day in the mission! Hugs! 
Thursday morning walk along the klong to meet John at the Villa Market after his doctor's appt. 
Barges on the Klong! That reminds me of a song that one of our good friends loves (JK)! 
Barges, I would like to sail with you . . . I would like to sail the ocean blue!
Friend - You know who you are! Haha! 
Elder Brady gives Sister Peterson a handshake goodbye! 
Hugs! 
Sister Peterson waits for her family to enter the room! Did we mention her family was coming to pick her up??? Elder Brady films the arrival! 
I was supposed to be filming too. And I thought I was . . . But when I went to stop videoing, I realized I had not pressed record. I literally told Elder Brady to be sure to make sure he was videoing because sometimes we accidently don't actually video. And then I did just that! 
Sister Peterson's beautiful family and our mission President, President Kanyaphan! The whole family came to take Sister Peterson home! They will do some traveling around Thailand and Singapore first! It was so fun to meet them! We love Sister Peterson! She is so beautiful and funny! We will miss her!
Happy Birthday to me! A big thank you to our good friends, the Standings, for remembering my birthday this month and John's last month! 
It was so fun going to the mail room and finding a letter addressed to me!! 
Friday morning, we headed to Samut Prakan to do a house inspection with the Sisters! Sister Peterson (our only Sister Peterson now) is new to the mission. This is her first transfer! And Sister Malquist is her trainer! These are beautiful, kind, loving sisters! They did a great job cleaning their house too! 
After the inspection, we headed to PEPPER LUNCH, of course! 
We enjoyed spending time with the sisters. 
We passed a different Klong on our way to the train home, and we noticed all of these fish in the water! I don't know what was causing them to be in a frenzy, but I had to get a picture! 

Well, that wraps up this week! I still have a cold, but I slept much better the last two nights and I can manage during the day! And John does not seem to have caught this! And neither of us caught what the Platts had the week before (I guess it started 2 weeks ago)! Thank heavens! 

It's my birthday tomorrow and we plan to go out to eat and go to a movie with the other Senior Missionaries! I will tell you all about it next week! 

Until then, thanks for reading! 
Sawatdee Ka! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letter 82 - Only FOUR Months Left!!!!

Dear loved ones! It's Friday, August 7th, and we officially have only four months to go! I cannot believe it! We will be so happy to get...